Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Learning new things everyday

It's funny how we take so many things for granted. The most basic function in life is eating. We must do it to survive and before it was just a given. Eat what you want, when you want, how much you want. There were no limits, only those you set upon yourself. And unfortunately I wasn't very good about setting any limits for myself which is why I am where I am today.

My surgery was a week ago today. I feel 90% back to normal. I didn't realize until I went out to the grocery or store just how weak I still am. Today I went to the grocery and was there for about an hour. By the time got to checkout I was sweating bullets and felt lightheaded. Yet, I made it and I am fine. Tomorrow I go back to work and while my job is sitting down all day I know I must get up every 1/2 hour to prevent blood clots as I am still high risk they said for two weeks after surgery plus I don't want my side (where the port and hernia repair is) to stiffen up.

I am bored with my meal choices already. I know I shouldn't be but I love food, no surprise. I am not overeating but I am eating my little 2-3 oz every 3-4 hours.I am trying to make good choices but even so because I am eating so little my choices are all good. I have been trying to come up with some variety and I have a few. I had the breakfast casserole this morning without meat and it was a wonderful change and I was full.
Breakfast casserole
Serves 1
1 tbsp. Bob Evans seasoned hashbrowns
1/4 c. egg beaters, any variety
1 wedge Laughing Cow light cheese
Optional: 1/4-1/2 pre-cooked turkey sausage patty, processed  or 1 tsp of diced ham that is processed

Spray skillet with cooking spray. Add hashbrowns and cook until tender being careful not to brown too much. You want them soft. Add egg beaters and cook until soft set. Add cheese and meat if desired and heat until cheese is melted and meat is warmed.

Tamales is another good choice. Take one tamale and heat through. Process it and add a 1 tsp of reduced fat or fat free sour cream. Depending how many oz you are able to eat it may be two meals. We are only eating a fraction of the actual serving so our caloric intake is much much lower but we get exactly what we want. I LOVE this!

Pork n beans with chicken franks. A small can processed and heated through, again very tasty and sticks with you. Good protein source.

Ham Salad
Serves 2-3
A small package of diced Ham.
1/4 c. Kraft light mayo made w/olive oil
1 tsp pickle relish or more to taste


Here a a couple of must haves for the kitchen. A small electric chopper. I have a mini one that I have had for years. Never use it really cause it is small. It is grate for onions but then I started buying them frozen. It is perfect for me. I can blend or process food and make a few servings for myself. Small containers. My favorite is Rubbermaid round cups. They are disposable but the perfect size. They are 1/2 c. The lid screws on and they are perfect. And the last tip is have someone that will eat your leftovers if you can't freeze them. I hate to waste food but sometimes you can only eat something a few times in a row before you are sick of it. It is nice to have someone who will take what is left after you pull a few servings for yourself out. Let's face it. A recipe for 4 servings is more like 16 band servings.

No comments: