Sunday, May 30, 2010

Misconception

This weekend I dealt with a very narrow minded person who had in their mind a very distorted view of just what this band should be doing for me. They had asked me how much weight I had lost this week and I said 2 lbs. Did I get a "that's great!" or " Good job!"? Of course I didn't. The response I got was "I guess you need to go back on the liquid or puree diet." I sat there and got quiet. I started to tear up and then I got just plain mad! I told them in many unsavory terms "DON'T YOU EVER SAY THAT TO ME AGAIN!!" I also said, "I have lost 2 lbs. How much have you lost?" It was ugly. REALLY UGLY! They said that wasn't what they meant. Oh yes it was. You can't make a statement like that and mean it any other way than to say I am not losing enough weight or fast enough or the 2 lbs isn't good enough.

So here is the misconception about the Lap Band. It is NOT a magical cure. A person generally does not drop mega amounts of weight really fast. True that one can drop a good amount of weight at first if your liquid stage is long but as you introduce foods into your diet that weight loss will slow and for some stop all together. It is then that you have to find the right combination of foods and exercise to work for you.

The amount of weight you SHOULD lose with the band is 1-2 lbs per WEEK. Just with any realistic diet out there you are expected to eat a certain amount of calories and this is the standard weight loss amount per week for healthy weight loss and long term success. The band's purpose is to help with portion control but it is up to the person what portions the band is helping to control.

This hurt me beyond belief. It felt as if this person just made my 27lbs of weight loss so far as insignificant and not worth mentioning. Any loss is a loss no matter how big or small. For me to lose 27 lbs in about 2 months is incredible in my book. That is 27 lbs that I have lost and not gained back. In the past, I would lose 25 lbs in 10 weeks and then gained back 35 a month later.

So what confused me is this person was supposedly fine with my weight prior to ever starting a diet or surgery and now that I am losing weight they want it off quicker? Why? Are they now seeing my potential and think they would rather have that then me as I am? I just don't know anymore. I do know that this is for me and not anyone else.

Just a warning...You can say your hurtful things and I guarantee I will give you my 2 cents right back. That is my right but when it comes to my weight loss, you have no rights.

No comments: