Thursday, June 9, 2011

What a week!

New job started-Check!
Feeling overwhelmed--Check check!
Starting to think I made a mistake- Check check check!

I know, it has only been 4 days. I am way out of my element here. It is hard to get aclimated to a whole new career. This job is way out of my usual element so I feel lost for the first time in 10 years. I have 2-5 meetings per day. I am busy that's for sure. I work in the IT department now as a software tester. I don't have a college degree, yet. I still have another 6-9 months for my Associates degree in Information Technology but I have had ZERO computer technology classes.

Just an example, I had to validate reports asap. Huh? What the heck does that mean? They gave some vague guidelines and well...I googled it and taught myself and winged it. It has a lot of work with excel, SQL and query. I am by no means an expert in excel or any of the other stuff. Did the report validation, again not really sure what that is, and apparently it was okay because it was forwarded right on to the programmers to fix what I found. I think it will take me some time to feel comfortable with what I am doing.

I had issues with eating. I was so nervous and out of my element that I didn't eat breakfast 3 of the 4 mornings so far this week. That made lunch hard to swallow. Literally! Then suddenly today, I am enjoying a salad and suddenly my throat was scratchy and I felt like I have the flu. It hit me all of a sudden. Just what I need, to get sick. I am rarely sick! UGH!!

I haven't been losing any more weight lately but I am not feeling hungry either. I get stuck quite often. My favorite meal right now is a grilled hamburger topped with sliced avacado. YUM!

I don't have the support of my former boss, no so much anyway. I went and bought some new clothes. Not a lot but I usually just wear jeans. So being that I am now in IT and having meetings with managers and directors I figure I can't wear jeans everyday. So I dusted off my capris and bought some new sweaters and shirts on clearance at Old Navy. My old boss said I get a new job and new clothes and now I am trying to be something I'm not. That HURT! Just maybe I am being what I always knew I could be??

Well, I have one more day this week then much needed rest. I am having problems sleeping, again because I think I am so nervous so we'll see how it goes. Maybe next week will be much better.

No comments: