Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Eating Out

Weight loss surgery and eating out. Coincidence or nightmare? Neither. Honestly, I don't think that I eat really small portions, I eat what should be normal size portions. In America, we have become more "supersized" in every way.

What to do about this? Simple. No really, it is. When I eat out I immediately cut my meal in half and put it away in a "to go" box. It really does work. Out of sight out of mind. I always take food with me to work, as I have mentioned in previous posts. But let's be real here, I WANT to order take out with the gang or at my work they have Picadilly's restaurant bring in lunch twice a week that we can purchase and sometimes it is something I want. Well guess what? I get what I want because I can have whatever I want just in moderation.

Here's some examples. Tuesday, Picadilly's brought in lasagna. Yes it was carbs but I have barely had any carbs for months. So I had a treat. I had lasagna and they had a small salad bar. So I fixed a plate of salad but had my own dressing with me. I went back to my desk, took out an extra plate and cut my lasagna in half and took 1/2 my salad and put those in the fridge. What I had left was plenty. Today was a "bad" day. Well not really. We ordered Famous Dave's. It is BBQ. I ordered the BBQ chicken sandwich w/pepper jack cheese and garlic mashed potatoes. So, again, I cut my sandwich in half and took half of the mashed potatoes and put it in the fridge. I took off the thicker part of the bun and ate the 1/2 of sandwich and potatoes. I ate with my co-workers. 4 hours later I ate the rest of it. Two meals for one price. Quite handy. This is something ANYONE can do. It is a habit you can develop. I have a card that identifies me as a lap band patient so that I can either order smaller portions or off the kids menu. That is really embarassing to me so I just put half away for another meal or we share a meal. We love to get fish. My husband and I have always shared a box for two. We never had any left. It was 4-5 pieces of fish, fries and hushpuppies. Now, that same box feeds both of us and my daughter and we usually have a piece leftover. I can only eat 1/2 a piece up to a full small piece. It's about taking control and it is said that it takes doing something continuously for 21 days to become a habit. I think this is a habit. My band helps in the background but it is my habit of putting half of my food away that I think keeps me in check.

The key is to learn what it means to be hungry and no longer hungry. There is a difference in being no longer hungry and being full. If you are full, you ate too much. I am getting better about stopping when I am no longer hungry. If I have to unbutton my pants I have gone too far.

Motivational tip #2
You thought I forgot didn't you? I know I have been rambling so far. Here's tip #2. Document your progress. Take measurements, weight, keep a journal. Take pictures along the way. It is encouraging to look at how you have been doing because it just is the nudge you may need to show it is possilble.
I take measurements of neck, chest, waist, hips, thigh, calf, bicep and forearm once a month. I weigh myself once a week on the same day at the same time wearing the same clothes. It's best to weigh yourself first thing in the morning. I happen to personally use this journal the Dieter's Diary. It is very handy for me to keep track of what I am doing.

Till next time, happy eating!

No comments: