Sunday, November 13, 2011

Looking for new things to try and reflecting on the old

I have been scouring the nutrition labels and internet to find ways to incorporate more protein in my diet.

I have a few. One is my white chicken chili. Comfort food with lots of beans. I make sure to take beano before I eat the chili. Second is cappuccino. I know you are thinking what the heck? Well, I am partial to Hills Bros White Chocolate Caramel cappuccino. Simply add a scoop of unflavored in each cup you make. Easy peasy way to get in additional protein.

I am trying my hardest to eat solid protein as that fills me up faster and well banders are supposed to eat protein first anyway. Tater Tot casserole is kid friendly and surprisingly band friendly for me. I am adding it to my recipe page.

My surgery was May 12, 2011. In all this time I have had ups and downs. I have learned a lot about myself and my new companion, the Lap Band. I also know that everyone is different and everyone's band is different but the basic rules to abide by are the same for everyone.

One thing I know that as soon as my band is too loose I overeat. I revert right back to pre-surgery days. One would think or hope that after a year and a half that this would be a new habit. It's not, at least not for me. I have to forever keep that in the back of my mind and be diligent when I start to overeat to get a fill immediately. I also know that the band is very fickle. For example, I got a fill about a month ago. I haven't felt any different, in fact, I have gained weight. Then when it was time for my next appointment for a fill, my band acted up and basically said No I don't think so. Suddenly it was tight and I was not able to eat much anymore. The weight has been slowly going back down which I think now was mostly water weight as I was so swollen my shoes didn't fit. That is getting better as I have increased my water and decreased my cappuccino intake.

So needless to say, my band is working again, no need for that fill after all.

Thanksgiving is coming up soon. I am scouring the internet for side dishes to bring that are band friendly and still within Thanksgiving tradition. I don't do well with Turkey and ham so I am going to be relying on the side dishes I guess. Any suggestions?



No comments: