Friday, July 23, 2010

Rough patch & measuring success by the bathroom, no really!

Ok, so I have been on vacation out of town for a week. This has been a very difficult Lap Band week. I usually do not have problems eating but this week...HORRIBLE! Food gets stuck everytime and I don't know why. I mean, I have some ideas but still...
It seems, for me anyway, if I wait too long between meals my throat closes up and everything gets stuck but not at first. No, it waits until I am part way through the meal and then BAM!
(TMI ALERT)
 It got so bad at one restaurant that I had sliming going on and had to rush to the bathroom. Once inside, apparantly a little girl had gotten sick ALL OVER the bathroom floor and cans. I covered my mouth with the napkin I was so graciously holding because I wasn't sure I would make it to the bathroom. After everyone cleared the bathroom, it came up. Not a lot and it wasn't from my stomach pit either just in my throat. I felt instantly better. I went back to the table and sat down. I took a sip of water and BAM! It hit me again. This time it was PAINFUL. It felt like someone was stabbing me in the chest and twisting the knife. I have never had that before. I made my way to the bathroom once again. I am sure the poeple sitting by the bathroom thought I was purging my meal. They looked at me funny. Anyway, the bathroom still not cleaned, ewww, and it was packed. No dice for me. I went back to my table and contemplated going to the car to heave ho. Then all of a sudden, it was gone. All the pain, the stuck feeling. I had three bites of mashed potatoes and one bite of fish. I was done but still OH SO HUNGRY!! I just couldn't risk it again. Now everything gets stuck. I think it is because I waited so long between meals and then when I ate I was starved and probably ate too fast in addition to my throat being tight. Not a good combination. But think about it, don't we all eat like ravenous pigs when we haven't eaten in a long while? It is something we should all remember, band or otherwise, don't wait so long between meals.

Now...measuring success. I don't have very many ask me how I am doing or how much weight I have lost. A few have asked "Do you notice any difference in your clothes?". The answer is: not really. I notice the difference in the bathroom stall. Yes that is right, the bathroom stall. See, at work we have 5 stalls. They begin very narrow and progress to what we call the luxury suite. A very large and spacious sought after piece of real estate in the bathroom at work. I always went for stalls 3-5 because they were the biggest. The 1st few stalls were too narrow. I would have to turn sideways, suck in my stomach and step back behind the toilet to just close the door. Then I bumped everything in there. The other day I had no choice but the 1st, most narrow stall. UGH! Imagine my surprise when I stepped right in without turning sideways or stepping behind the toilet. to close the door. I stepped in and closed it up. I didn't bump a single thing. VICTORY!!
So now when someone asks me do I notice a difference in my clothes, my answer will be "No, but the bathroom fits me just fine now."

No comments: