Wednesday, May 11, 2011

MY ONE YEAR BANDAVERSARY

On this day, one year ago, I was embarking on the biggest adventure of my life. Little did I know just how much it would change my life. I hoped it would but really had no idea of what I would accomplish.

So many things have changed in my life since that day. No more soft drinks for me. Anyone who knows me knew that Big Red and grape soda were my passions.
I can now sit in a seat at the movie theater and not be wedged in there plus I don't have to sit a seat apart from people because of my size. I can sit in a booth at any restaurant and not have my stomach sitting on top of the table or it being shoved up in my throat.
I can get in and out of my car with ease. I can walk from far out in the parking lot into work without stopping to breathe heavy.
My feet don't swell everyday like before. I can wear cute shoes and not have pudgy feet. Hey, some things are important.
As I have said before, I can use the regular stalls in the bathroom at work instead of the "luxury suite" or handicapped stall.
The biggest thrill for me is being able to cross my legs. I can sit like a lady again.
I have dropped a multitude of sizes. Gone from a tight size 28/30 possibly larger(30/32 in some things), to 18/20. More 18 than 20. I can buy off the racks now at regular stores and of course Old Navy is my favorite right now. I haven't taken my measurements in a long long while so I will update that on a later date as soon as I find my measuring tape.
My health has dramatically improved. Blood pressure is no longer high. Cholesterol is normal again. Was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes December 2009 and no longer take any medications and blood sugar is normal. I had a mini stroke in 2008 but now my risks are lowered for a full blown stroke. I have APS(antiphospholipid antibody syndrome) but my clotting risks are lower due to the drastic weight loss. Edema is mostly gone now. Reflux is mainly gone. I rarely take meds for it.

This has been a hard journey. It takes a lot of work and effort. It's not the miracle cure some people hope for and others (non banders) think it is. I have a lot of sacrafices with the band. I still have bumps and curves in my journey because of the band. Things get stuck even a year later when I am an expert on what I can and cannot eat. It's always a learning experience every single day.

My BIGGEST accomplishment?? I have lost....DRUMROLL PLEASE....112.5 LBS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Am I happy with the surgery? You bet I am! Would I do it again? In a heartbeat! Do I have any regrets? Not a one! Would I do anything different? Yes, I would have done this sooner. Do I recommend it for others? No. Now I know you are thinking what do you mean No? I could never recommend a surgery for someone. This is such a personal decision to make. It is a huge investment not only for you but your family. This isn't for everyone. You have to be in the right frame of mind to do this because there are some psychological stresses on you when you have this surgery. It's not like a diet that at some point you can give up and go back to what and how you were eating. This surgery is adjustable so you can "give up" to a point but it's not going to fully go back unless you have it removed. You can control just how restrictive the band is by getting adjustments. Could it work for you? Yes it could. Would it work the same for you as me? Absolutely NOT! We are all different and unique so is our weightloss journey.

I had hoped to have pictures ready to post today but of course I don't. I will get those together soon and get my one year pic posted.

Thank you everyone for your love and support as I continue my journey.

I look forward to the next year. I am excited to see how my life continues to change.

1 comment:

Sarah G said...

Happy Bandiversary! Congratulations on all of your wonderful success!!